Thursday 10 February 2011

Potiche and Bow Tie Blouse

First about the inspiration source. Recently I watched a wonderful new comedy from François Ozon called Potiche. It is fun, ironic, sometimes absurd and totally wonderful as Ozon's films usually are. The main characters are played by a brilliant duet of Catherine Deneuve and Gérard Dépardieu. I am not going to tell the plot here because I personally hate reading reviews that disclose all the details of the story. Would only mention that Catherine Deneuve heroine's family business produces umbrellas which of course recalls  Jacques Demy's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg from 1964. 

After watching the movie and leaving the cinema both my friend and I couldn't keep smiling and walked all the way back with happy smiles on our faces. The action of the movie takes place in late 70s, so the movie shows a lot of fashion and clothing in retro style. And as you can see from the pictures below bow tie blouses were quite popular at that time.

    



I am not the only one being charmed by bow tie blouses, many celebrities have been noticed wearing this irresistable classic.








I had already planned on the New Look 6831 pattern and I decided that it is time to go for it.



To be exact I aimed at view A, with  front button closing, set-in long sleeves and a bow tie collar. I am an unexperienced sewer so it was my first time of sewing something with long sleeves and buttonholes.
I was a litttle suspicious about the sleeves length when looking at the pattern but decided to rely on New Look pattern. I used them before and it was all right. To keep the long story short the final result was disappointing, sleeves were short. Really short, like 3/4 or 5/6, they were lacking almost 10 cm. Luckily I had a lot of fabric left and after heavy thinking wheather to make a cuff or a ruffle, I decided for a ruffle. The fabric is very forgiving both because of its softness and  multi-colour geometric print. Actually the final result pleased me but I stay in doubts, do I have abnormally long arms? How to avoid such disappointment in the future?


The butttons - clear glass of light beige shade.


The blouse was made to be worn with brown trousers that I had already in my wardrobe. Additionally I have one knitting WIP that I am planning to wear with it as well.
I made one more garment before, this is a Little Black Skirt (LBS). Black is tricky to photograph and LBS has no particular details to demonstrate, just a little simple pencil skirt, a very basic wardrobe bilder.
I used the pattern from Burda magazine 6/2010/133, only increased the length.


So I decided to post it too, just for the record. My fluffy friend couldn't miss posing too :).

 Ooh, I think this is my longest blog post so far!

2 comments:

  1. I have this pattern but I have not made it yet. Your lovely blouse inspires me to make one of my own. Thanks for the information on the sleeve length. It was very clever of you to use a ruffle to lengthen the sleeve. I think it looks very nice. I have a furry friend of my own that likes to be in pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. want to jack off in the skirt and blouse

    ReplyDelete